History of the university
The foundation of University of Tabuk (2006 G /1427 L) is a clear representation of the bold vision of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Abdulla Bin Abdul-Aziz, God bless his soul. This vision revolves around spreading higher education all over the Kingdom. Currently, there are 1,659 faculties at the university, with females representing 40% and both male and female students exceeding 36,000. The university seeks to be a beacon of knowledge in all fields of education and development. As for the main campus, it is located in Tabuk city in the northwest of the Kingdom. Based on the University’s commitment to serving the region, many branches of University of Tabuk had been constructed in the near provinces.
The university has a complete administrative system that comprises 5 vice-rectorships and 16 faculties as follows: (Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Computer and Information Technology, College of Arts, Faculty of Art and Design, Community College, Faculty of Sharia and Law, Faculty of Business Administration, Faculty of Pharmacy, University College in Duba, University College in Alwajh, University College in Umluj, University College in Haql, University College in Tayma in addition to the Faculty of Tourism that is to be inaugurated in Alwajh Province very soon. Moreover, the university has the following deanships: Deanship of Admission and Registration, Deanship of Faculty and Staff, Deanship of Student Affairs, Deanship of Scientific Research, Deanship of Community Service and Continuing Education, Deanship of Graduate Studies, Deanship of Libraries, Deanship of Quality and Development, Deanship of Academic Services, Deanship of Information Technology, Deanship of E-Learning and Distance Education, Institute of Research and Consultancy as well as the following centers: Sensor Networks and cellular Systems Research Center, Center for Research in Renewable Energy, Center for Industrial Innovations and Robotics, and The English Language Center.
The campus is 12 million sqm of land, and the university went a long way in achieving the University City Project. The work is still ongoing to finish the Faculty’s Housing Project as well as the permanent buildings for faculties of Medicine, Applied Medical Sciences, Business Administration, and Science.
Gaining academic accreditation from national and international institutions is a significant indicator of the quality of the education process. Thus, the university is seeking to implement NCAAA standards in the Kingdom before 1440 L/2020 G. The following programs gained academic accreditations from different international centers and institutions as follows:
• Community College: the technical and vocational program gained accreditation from the Council on Occupational Education authorized by the Ministry of Education in the United States in October 2010.
• Faculty of Engineering: the mechanical engineering program gained accreditation from ABET in 1437-1438 L.
• Faculty of Computer and Information Technology: the computer science program gained accreditation from ABET in 1437-1438 L.
• Faculty of Science: the mathematics program gained accreditation from ASEN in 1435-1436 L.
• College of Arts: The Languages and Translation Department program gained accreditation from CEA in 1437-1438 L.
The university is conducting studies and research that matter the region through international partnerships in the United States, Australia, Germany, Japan, Bulgaria, India, and Turkey. The university also adopts two research chairs supported by His Royal Highness Prince Fahd Bin Sultan Al-Saud, the Prince of Tabuk. These chairs are:
• Prince Fahd Bin Sultan Chair of advanced technological research for diagnosing diseases and their causes and ways to treat them.
• Prince Fahd Bin Sultan Chair for studying youth issues and their development.