M. Ahmed H. Mesaik, Ph. D. محمد أحمد حسن عثمان مسيك
+(966) (0)14564034 (Office), Ext: 4034. Cell No. +966(0)542585097
Born at Marawi, North Sudan, December 29, 1967
2003, Ph. D. (Microbiology)
Thesis Title “Studies on Some Natural Compounds for their Immunomodulatory Activity”. Department of Microbiology and H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, University of Karachi, Pakistan
1996, M. Phil (Biotechnology)
Thesis Title “PCR Based Diagnosis and Genotyping of Hepatitis C Virus, In-Patient with Chronic Liver Disease, from Faisalabad Region”.
Department of Biological Sciences, Quaid-I-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan and National Institute for Biotechnology & Genetic Engineering. Faisalabad Pakistan
1994, M. Sc (Clinical Microbiology) and 1993, B. Sc Hons. (Micro, Bio & Physiology)
Shah Abdul Latif University, Khairpur, Pakistan.
Associate Professor (Microbiology & Immunology) (March 2016- up to date)
Faculty of Medicine University of Tabuk, Tabuk 71491 Saudi Arabia P.O Box 741 and Medical Microbiology Deptt Head, Faculty of Medicine University of Tabuk (October 2016-October 2017)
Associate Professor (Microbiology & Immunology) (January 2014- March 2016)
Faculty of Pharmacy National University of Malaysia, (UKM) KL Malaysia.
Assistant Professor (March 2007- Jan 2014)
Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicinal & Drug Research PCMD, International Center for Chemical Sciences ICCBS), University of Karachi, Karachi 75270 Pakistan & serve as
Head of Molecular Immunology Lab as well In-charge of cell culture facility at Dr. panjwani center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research (2005-2013)
Senior Research Associate (Jan 2004 –March 2007)
PCMD, ICCBS, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270 Pakistan
Research Fellow (May, 1997 - Oct. 2003)
Microbiology Department & H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, International Center for Chemical Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi-75270, Pakistan.
Junior Research fellow (August 1994 - November 1996)
Department of Biological Sciences Quaid-i-Azam University Islamabad & National Institute for Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (NIBGE) Faisalabad, Pakistan
Visiting Associate Professor (December 2-9, 2012)
Faculty of Pharmacy UKM, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Visiting Post Doc Scientist (September 15 - October 15, 2012)
Linkoping University, Sweden
Visiting Scientist (February 2009)
Faculty of Pharmacy UKM Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Curriculum development & Teaching Experience:
I was among the faculty who designed and initiated the Molecular Medicine course Curriculum taught at Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research, ICCBS University of Karachi (2004 - 2014).
- Teaching Medical and Clinical Microbiology and related subjects and practicals at faculty of Medicine University of Tabuk from March 2016 on ward.
- Teaching Pharmaceutical Biotechnology at Faculty of Pharmacy University of Tabuk Since 2016.
- Involved in the teaching Microbiology, Basic Immunology, Inflammatory Pathology, and Nutritional Pathology, Toxicology, Toxicokinetics & Toxicodynamics Since April 2014, at National University of Malaysia (University Kebangsaan Malaysia, UKM) Kuala Lumpur Malaysia April 2014-March 2016.
- Taught Basic Immunology, Molecular Immunology and Microbiology courses at Dr. Panjwani Centre for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research, ICCBS University of Karachi during my tenure at PCMD: 2006 to 2013.
- Served as mentor for PhD student (list below) and established Immunomodulatory Laboratory, and I was the in-charge of the Cell culture facility at ICCBS, 2005- Aug 2013.
- Served as mentor for B. Pharm Final Year student research projects (8 students currently).
- I served as facilitator for Microbiology lab practical at University of Sindh Jamshoro during 1998-1999.
Teach, all courses related to Microbiology, Immunology, Biotechnology (all related subjects and practical), genetics, and basic biochemistry.
List of Publications (Total IF > 165.0)
- Shaheen Faizi, Tahira Sarfaraz, Saima Sumbul, Almas Jabeen, Sobia Ahsan Halim, M. Ahmed Mesaik, and Zaheer Ul-Haq. Synthesis, Biological Evaluation, and Molecular Docking Studies of Novel 8-Hydroxyquinoline Derivatives through Mannich Reaction as Potential Immunomodulatory Agents (2019) (Submitted).
- Samreen Soomro, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Rafat Siddique, Noureen Khan, Sobia Ahsan Halim, Zaheer Ul-Haq, F. Shaheen and M Iqbal Choudhary. Inhibitory effects of Myrtocumaoacetalone 1 from Myrtus communis on infammatory response in mouse macrophages. (2019) J. Immunol. Res. (Submitted).
- Muhammad S. Ali, Ghafoor Ahmed, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Muhammad R. Shah, M. Lateef and Muhammad I. Ali. Facile one pot syntheses of new C-28 esters of oleanolic acid and studies on their antiproliferative effect on T-cells (2018) Z Naturforsch C. 2018 Nov 27;73(11-12):417-421. doi: 10.1515/znc-2018-0028.
- Javaid Alam, Ibrahim Jantan, Mohd Azlan Nafiah, Endang Kumolosasi, Muhammed Ahmed Mesaik. Suppressive Effects of the Standardized Extract of Phyllanthus amarus on Type II collagen-induced Rheumatoid Arthritis in Sprague Dawley Rats. (2018) Current pharmaceutical biotechnology. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2174/1389201020666181211124954
- Abeysekera W.K.S.M., S.P.G. Arachchige, M. Ahmed Mesaik, M. Iqbal Choudhary, W.D. Ratnasooriya, N. V. Chandrasekharan, Almas Jabeen, Samreen Soomro. Crude Bran Extracts and Fractions of Selected Traditional Red Rice (Oryza sativa L.) Varieties of Sri Lanka Potentiates Anti-Inflammatory Activities in Human Blood and Cell Assays. (2018) Adv Biochem Biotehcnol: ABIO-161. DOI: 10.29011/2574-7258. 000061.
- Ahmed M. Mesaik, , Hiap Wei Poh, , Ooi Yan Bin, , Izzaddinn Elawad, Badr Alsayedn IVivo Anti-Inflammatory. Anti-Bacterial and Anti-Diarrhoeal Activity of Ziziphus Jujuba Fruit Extract. Open Access Maced J Med Sci (2018). 15;6(5):757-766. https://doi.org/10.1080/10496475.2018.1463931.
- Fouzia Khan, Nida Dastagir, Mehreen Lateef, Muhammad Yousuf, Zulfiqar Ali Mirani, Ahmed Mesaik, Shaheen Faizi & Shahana Urooj Kazmi. Immunomodulatory activities of extracts of Caesalpinia pulcherrima. Journal of Herbs, Spices & Medicinal Plants 24 (3) (2018). https://doi.org/10.1080/10496475.2018.1463931.
- Oladimeji AO, Oladosu IA, Jabeen A, Faheem A, Mesaik MA, Ali MS. Immunomodulatory activities of isolated compounds from the root-bark of Cussonia arborea. Pharm Biol. (2017) ;55(1):2240-2247.
- Erukainure OL, Mesaik MA, Atolani O, Muhammad A, Chukwuma CI, Islam MS. Pectolinarigenin from the leaves of Clerodendrum volubile shows potent immunomodulatory activity by inhibiting T - cell proliferation and modulating respiratory oxidative burst in phagocytes. Biomed Pharmacother. (2017) 93:529-535.
- Ochuko L. Erukainure, Moses Z. Zaruw, Ahmed M. Mesaik, Aliyu Muhammad, Jeffery O. Adoga, Ibukun O. Ogunyemi, Osaretin A.T. Ebuehi and Gloria N. Elemo. Suppression of phagocytic oxidative burst, cytotoxic effect, and computational prediction of oral toxicity of dietary fatty acids of Clerodendrum volubile stem. Comp Clin Pathol (2017). doi:10.1007
- Erukainure OL, Hafizur RM, Choudhary MI, Adhikari A, Mesaik AM, Atolani O, Banerjee P, Preissner R, Muhammad A, Islam MS. Anti-diabetic effect of the ethyl acetate fraction of Clerodendrum volubile: protocatechuic acid suppresses phagocytic oxidative burst and modulates inflammatory cytokines. Biomed Pharmacother. (2017) 86: 307-315
- Ul-Haq Z, Naz S, Mesaik MA. Interleukin-4 receptor signaling and its binding mechanism: A therapeutic insight from inhibitors tool box. (2016) Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 32:3-15.
- Ilangkovan M, Jantan I, Mesaik MA, Bukhari SN. Inhibitory Effects of the Standardized Extract of Phyllanthus amarus on Cellular and Humoral Immune Responses in Balb/C Mice. (2016) Phytother Res. 30(8): 1330-8.
- Erukainure OL, Mesaik AM, Muhammad A, Chukwuma CI, Manhas N, Singh P, Aremu OS, Islam MS. Flowers of Clerodendrum volubile exacerbate immunomodulation by suppressing phagocytic oxidative burst and modulation of COX-2 activity. (2016) Biomed Pharmacother. 83:1478-1484.
- M. Iqbal Choudhary; Saira Bano; Atia-tul Wahab; Sammer Yousuf; Almas Jabeen; M. Ahmed Mesaik; Atta-ur- Rahman New Anti-inflammatory Metabolites by Microbial Transformation of Medrysone. (2016) PLOS ONE. 22;11(4).
- Almas Jabeen, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Shabana Simjee, Samina Bano and Shaheen Faizi. Anti TNF-? and anti-arthritic effect of patuletin: a rare flavonoid from Tagetes patula. (2016) Inter. Immunophamcol 36: 232-40.
- OL Erukainure, OAT Ebuehi, MI Choudhary, MA Mesaik, A Shukralla, Orange Peel Extracts: Chemical Characterization, Antioxidant, Antioxidative Burst, and Phytotoxic Activities. (2016) Journal of dietary supplements 13 (5), 585-594.
- IE Orhan, MA Mesaik, A Jabeen, Y Kan. Immunomodulatory properties of various natural compounds and essential oils through modulation of human cellular immune response. (2016) Industrial Crops and Products 81, 117-122.
- Khan KM, Mesaik MA, Abdalla OM, Rahim F, Soomro S, Halim SA, Mustafa G, Ambreen N, Khalid AS, Taha M, Perveen S, Alam MT, Hameed A, Ul-Haq Z, Ullah H, Rehman ZU, Siddiqui RA, Voelter W. The immunomodulation potential of the synthetic derivatives of benzothiazoles: Implications in immune system disorders through in vitro and in silico studies. (2016) Bioorg Chem. 64:21-8.
- N Iqbal, A Adhikari, N Kanwal, OM Abdalla, MA Mesaik, SG Musharraf. New immunomodulatory steroidal alkaloids from Sarcococa saligna. (2015) Phytochemistry Letters 14, 203-208.
- Vinitha M. Thadhani, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Muhammad Asif, Veranja Karunaratne, Iqbal M. Choudhary Immunomodulatory Activities of Some Common Lichen Metabolites. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.7 (11) 144-7 (2015).
- Waleed S. Koko, Mohamed A. Mesaik, Rosa Ranjitt, Mohamed Galal and Mohamed I. Choudhary. Immunosuppressive Phenolic Compounds from Hydnora abyssinica A. Braun BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine 15:500 (2015).
- M. Ahmed Mesaik, Khalid Mohammed Khan, Fazal Rahim, Muhammad Taha, Syed Moazzam Haider, Shahnaz Perveen, Ahmed Shukralla Khalid, Omer M. Abdalla, Samreen Soomro, Wolfgang Voelter. Synthetic indole Mannich bases: Their ability to modulate in vitro cellular immunity. (2015) Bioorganic Chemistry, 60: 118-122. Available online 8 May 2015.
- Hamid Ali, Syed Ghulam Musharrafa Naveed Iqbal, Achyut Adhikari, Omer Mohamed Abdalla, M. Ahmed Mesaik, and Nurul Kabir. Immunosuppressive and hepatoprotective potential of Sarcococca saligna and its biomarker components. Int Immunopharmacol. 28 (1): 235–243 (2015)
- Abdul Majid Ayatollahi, Mustafa Ghanadian, Rahman Att-ur-Rahman, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Ahmad Shukralla Khalid and Fateme Adeli. Methoxylated Flavones from Salvia Mirzayanii Rech. f. and Esfand with Immunosuppressive Properties. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (2015). 14 (3): 955-960.
- M. Ahmed Mesaik , Nida Dastagir , Nazim Uddin, Khalid Rehman , and M. Kamran Azim. Characterization of Immunomodulatory Activities of Honey Glycoproteins and Glycopeptides J. Agric. Food Chem. (2015). DOI: 10.1021/jf505131p available on line Dec 12, 2014.
- Gihan O. M. ELhassan, Achyut Adhikari, Omer M. Abdella, Ahmed Shukrulla, Asaad Khalid, M. Iqbal Choudhary, Mohammed A. Mesaik and Sakina Yagi (2015) Chemical constituents of Euphorbia Polyacantha Boiss. and their Immunomodulatory Properties. Rec. Nat. Prod. 9(1) 146-152.
- Muhammad Kashif, Samina Bano, Sabira Naqvi, Shaheen Faizi, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Khawaja Shamsuddin Azeemi, and Ahsana Dar Farooq. Cytotoxic and antioxidant properties of phenolic compounds from Tagetes patula flower. Pharm. Biol. (2014). 53(5):672-81.
- Abuzeid N, Kalsum S, Koshy RJ, Larsson M, Glader M, Andersson H, Raffetseder J, Pienaar E, Eklund D, Alhassan MS, AlGadir HA, Koko WS, Sch?n T, Ahmed Mesaik M, Abdalla OM, Khalid A, Lerm M. (2014) Antimycobacterial activity of selected medicinal plants traditionally used in Sudan to treat infectious diseases J. Ethno. Pharmacol.157: 134-139.
- Shaheen F, Rasoola S, Shah ZA, Soomro S, Jabeen A, Mesaik MA, Choudhary MI. Chemical constituents of Marrubium vulgare as potential inhibitors of nitric oxide and respiratory burst. Natural Product Communications (2014) 9(7):903-906.
- Elias Baydoun, Saira Bano, Atia-tul-Wahab, Almas Jabeen, Sammer Yousuf, Ahmed Mesaik, Colin Smith, M. Iqbal Choudhary. Fungal transformation and T-cell proliferation inhibitory activity of melengestrol acetate and its metabolite (2014) Steroids 86, 56–61.
- Vinitha M Thadhani, Qamar Naaz, M Iqbal Choudhary, M Ahmed Mesaik, Veranja Karunaratne. (2014) Enzyme inhibitory and immunomodulatory activities of the depsidone lobaric acid extracted from the lichen Heterodermia sp. J. Natn. Sci. Foundation Sri Lanka 42 (2): 193-196.
- Ashiq U, Jamal RA, Mesaik MA, Mahroof-Tahir M, Shahid S, Khan KM. (2014). Synthesis, Immunomodulation and Cytotoxic Effects of Vanadium (IV) Complexes. Medicinal Chemistry, 10 (3): 287-99.
- Thadhani VM, Q Naaz, MI Choudhary, MA Mesaik, V Karunaratne. Enzyme inhibitory and immunomodulatory activities of the depsidone lobaric acid extracted from the lichen Heterodermia sp. Journal of the National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka (2014). 42 (2), 193-196.
- Sadiqa Firdous, Kehkashan Khan, Sadia Zikr-Ur-Rehman, Zulfiqar Ali, Samreen Soomro, Viqar Uddin Ahmad, Munawwer Rasheed, M. Ahmed Mesaik and Shaheen Faizi (2014) Isolation of Phytochemicals from Cordia rothii and Evaluation of their Immunomodulatory Propertie. Records of Natural Products Rec. Nat. Prod. 8:1, 51-55.
- Saifullah, Saifullah Khan, Azizuddin, Sobia A. Halim, Muhammad Kashif, Muhammad Asif, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Zaheer-ul-Haq, Ahsana Dar, M. Iqbal Choudhary and Almas Jabeen. (2013) In-vitro immunomodulatory and anticancerous activities of biotransformed products of Dianabol through Azadirachta indica and its molecular docking studies, Chemistry Central Journal, 7:163.
- S. Muhammad Ghufran Saeed, Syed Asad Sayeed, Seema Ashraf , Shahina Naz, Rahmanullah Siddiqi, Rashida Alib, & M. Ahmed Mesaik (2013) A novel method for isolation and purification of Lawsone from lawsonia inermis and its ROS inhibitory activity. Pakistan Journal of Botany. 45(4), 1431-1436.
- Moustafa AM, Bennett MD, Edwards J, Azim K, Mesaik MA, Choudhary MI, Pathanasophon P, Worarach A, Ali Q, Abubakar M, Anjum R (2013) Molecular typing of haemorrhagic septicaemia-associated Pasteurella multocida isolates from Pakistan and Thailand using multilocus sequence typing and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis. Res Vet Sci 95(3); 986–990.
- Ozlem Demirkiran, M. Ahmad Mesaik, Hayrettin Beynek, Ahmed Abbaskhan and M. Iqbal Choudhary. (2013) Immunosupressive Phenolic Constituents from Hypericum montbretii Spach. Rec Nat Prod 7:3, 210-219.
- Abeysekera, W.K.S.M., Premakumara, G.A.S., Ahmed Mesaik, M., Choudhary, M.I., Ratnasooriya, W.D., Chandrasekharan, N.V., Jabeen A., & Soomro, S. (2013). Anti-inflammatory activities of brans of selected Sri Lankan traditional red rice (Oryza sativa L). Annual research symposium, Young Scientist Forum, Sri Lanka, Pp. 1.
- M. Iqbal Choudhary, Noureen Khan, Manzoor Ahmad, Sammer Yousuf, Hoong-Kun Fun, Samreen Soomro, M. Asif, M. Ahmed Mesaik, and Farzana Shaheen. (2013) New Bioactive Phloroglucinol Derivatives from Myrtus communis Organic letters 15 (8), pp 1862–1865. DOI: 10.1021/ol4002976.
- Sobia Ahsan Halim, Omer Mohamed Abdalla, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Abdul Wadood, Zaheer Ul-Haq, and Maria Kontoyianni (2013) Identification of Novel Interleukin-2 Inhibitors through Computational Approaches. Molecular Diversity 17(2):345-55.
- Muhammad Aliyu, Oyeronke A. Odunola, Ahsana D. Farooq, Huma Rasheed, Ahmed M. Mesaik, Muhammad I. Choudhary, Iffat S. Channa, Salman A. Khan, and Ochuko L. Erukainure (2013) Molecular Mechanism of Anti-proliferation Potential of Acacia Honey
on NCI-H460 Cell Lines In vitro. Nutr. Cancer 65(2), 296–304.
- Najma Sultana, M. Saeed Arayne, Asia Naz and M. Ahmed Mesaik (2013) Identification of anti-inflammatory and other biological activities of 3-carboxamide, 3-carbohydrazide and ester derivatives of gatifloxacin. Chemistry Central Journal 7:6.
- Ghanadian M, Choudhary MI, Ayatollahi AM, Mesaik MA, Abdalla OM, Afsharypour S. (2013) New cyclomyrsinol diterpenes from Euphorbia aellenii with their immunomodulatory effects. J Asian Nat Prod Res. 15(1):22-9.
- M. Ahmed Mesaik, Asif Ahmed, A. Shukralla Khalid, Saleem Jan, Afaq Ahmed Siddiqi, Shahida Perveen and M. Kamran Azim. (2013) Effect of Grewia asiatica fruit on Glycemic index and phagocytosis tested in healthy human subjects. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci., 26(1) pp.85-89.
- Syed Mustafa Ghanadian, Abdul Majid Ayatollahi, M. Ahmed Mesaik & Omer Mohamed Abdalla (2013) New immunosuppressive cyclomyrsinol diterpenes from Euphorbia kopetdaghi Prokh. Nat Prod Res 27(3):246-54. Available online: 23 Mar 2012.
- Muhammad Aliyu, Oyeronke A. Odunola, Ahsana D. Farooq, Ahmed M. Mesaik, Muhammad I. Choudhary, Ochuko L. Erukainure, Shahida Perveen and Almas Jabeen, (2012) Fractionation of Acacia Honey affects its Antioxidant Potential In vitro. Journal of Acute Diseases 115-119. doi: 10.1016/S2221-6189 (13) 60070-0.
- Muhammad Aliyu, Oyeronke A. Odunola, Ahsana D. Farooq, Ahmed M. Mesaik, Muhammad I. Choudhary, Beenish Fatima, Tariq A. Qureshi and Ochuko L. Erukainure. (2012) Acacia Honey Induces Cell Cycle Arrest, Pro-inflammatory Cytokines and Calcium ions Secretion in PC-3 Cell line Journal of Cancer Science & Therapy 4(12) 401-407.
- Atta-ur-Rahman, M. Sohail Haroone , M. Iqbal Choudhary, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Saleem Jan, Ahmed Abbaskhan, Muhammad Asif, Tahsin Gulzar, Abdullah M. Al-Majid, Sammer Yousuf, Rasool Baksh Tareen. (2012) Secondary metabolites of Sophora mollis subsp. griffithii (stocks) Ali. Phytochemistry Letters 5: 613-616.
- AZIZUDDIN, M. AHMED MESAIK, M. IQBAL CHOUDHARY, KHALID M. KHAN AND RASOOL B. TAREEN. (2012) Immunomodulatory Studies of Methyl 4-Hydroxybanzoate Isolated from Vitex agnus castus Journal of the Chemical Society of Pakistan 34 (4) Pages 971-975.
- Khan NT, Bibi M, Yousuf S, Qureshi IH, Atta-Ur-Rahman, Al-Majid AM, Mesaik MA, Khalid AS, Sattar SA, Atia-Tul-Wahab, Choudhary MI. (2012) Synthesis of some potent immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory metabolites by fungal transformation of anabolic steroid oxymetholone. Chem Cent J. 10;6(1):153.
- El Sayed H. El Ashry, Mohammad R. Amer, Omer M. Abdalla, Aly A. Aly, Samreen Soomro, Almas Jabeen, Sobia Ahsan Halim, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Zaheer Ul-Haq (2012) Synthesis, biological evaluation, and molecular docking studies of benzyl, alkyl and glycosyl [2-(arylamino)-4,4-dimethyl-6-oxo-cyclohex-1-ene]carbodithioates, as potential immunomodulatory and immunosuppressive agents. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 20(9) Pages 3000-3008.
- Mesaik MA, Jabeen A, Halim SA, Begum A, Khalid AS, Asif M, Fatima B, Ul-Haq Z, Choudhary MI. (2012) In Silico and In Vitro Immunomodulatory Studies on Compounds of Lindelofia stylosa. Chem Biol Drug Des. 79(3):290-9.
- Muhammad R. Shah, Mohammad Arfan, Hazrat Amin, Zahid Hussain, Muhammad I. Qadir, M. Iqbal Choudhary, Donald VanDerveer, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Samreen Soomro, Almas Jabeen, Inam Ullah Khan (2012) Synthesis of new bergenin derivatives as potent inhibitors of inflammatory mediators NO and TNF-?, Bioorg Med Chem.Letters, 22 (8) Pages 2744–2747.
- Fawzi Mahomoodally, Ahmed Mesaik, Muhammad I Choudhary, Anwar H Subratty, Ameenah Gurib-Fakim (2012) In vitro modulation of oxidative burst via release of reactive oxygen species from immune cells by extracts of selected Tropical medicinal herbs and food plants. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine, Volume 5(6), pages 440-7.
- El Ashry ES, El Tamany ES, Abd El Fattah ME, Aly MR, Boraei AT, Mesaik MA, Abdalla OM, Fatima B, Jabeen A, Shukrulla A, Soomro S. Immunomodulatory properties of S- and N-alkylated 5-(1H-indol-2-yl)-1,3,4-oxadiazole-2(3H)-thione. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. (2012) Dec 6, 2011 (doi:10.3109/14756366.2011.636361)
- Najma Sultana, Muhammad Saeed Arayne, Syeda Bushra, Shakeb Rizvi, Urooj Haroon, M. Ahmed Mesaik (2012) Synthesis, spectroscopic, and biological evaluation of some levofloxacin metal complexes Med Chem Res Published on line June 2012 (DOI 10.1007/s00044-012-0132-9).
- Ghanadian M, Ayatollahi AM, Mesaik MA, Afsharypuor S, Abdalla OM, Kobarfard F. (2011) New tigliane-type diterpenoids from Euphorbia aellenii Rech. f. with immunomodulatory activity Res Pharm Sci. 2011 Jan;6(1):35-41.
- Najma Sultana, M. Saeed Arayne, Hina Shamshad, Agha Zeeshan Mirza, Malik Asia Naz, Beenish Fatima, M. Asif, and M. Ahmed Mesaik. Synthesis, characterization and biological activities of cetirizine analogues, Spectroscopy Volume 26 (2011), Issue 4-5, Pages 317-328.
- Ahmed A., Khan R.A., Azim M.K., Saeed S.A., Mesaik M. A., Ahmed S., Imran I. (2011) REPORT: Effect of natural honey on human platelets and blood coagulation proteins. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2011 l; 24 (3):389-97.
- Abdul Majid Ayatollahi, M. Ghanadian, S. Afsharypuor , M. Ahmad Mesaik, Omer Mohamed Abdella, M. Shahlaeie, G. Farzandi and H. Mostafavi. (2011) Cycloartanes from Euphorbia aellenii Rech. f. and their Antiproliferative Activity. Iran J. Pharm Res. 10 (1) 105-112.
- Khan KM, Rahim F, Halim SA, Taha M, Khan M, Perveen S, Zaheer-Ul-Haq, Mesaik MA, Iqbal Choudhary M. (2011) Khan KM, Rahim F, Halim SA, Taha M, Khan M, Perveen S, Zaheer-Ul-Haq, Mesaik MA, Iqbal Choudhary M. (2011) Synthesis of novel inhibitors of ?-glucuronidase based on benzothiazole skeleton and study of their binding affinity by molecular docking. Bioorg Med Chem. 19: 4286–4294.
- Asif Ahmed, Rafeeq Alam Khan, Amjad Ahsan Ali and M. Ahmed Mesaik (2011) Effect of wet cupping therapy on virulent cellulitis secondary to honey bee sting – a case report. J Basic Appl Sci 7: 2, 123-125.
- Ibrahim Jantan, Nurul Hikmah, Harun Abdi Wira Septama, Shahnaz Murad, M.A. Mesaik (2011) Inhibition of chemiluminescence and chemotactic activity of phagocytes in vitro by the extracts of selected medicinal plants J Nat Med 65(2):400-5.
- Najma Sultana, Asia Naz, Khan, B., M. Saeed Arayne, M. Ahmed Mesaik (2010) Synthesis, characterization, antibacterial, antifungal, and immunomodulating activities of gatifloxacin derivatives. Med Chem Res 19: 1210-1221.
- Abdul Majid Ayatollahi, Mustafa Ghanadianb, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Omer Mohamed Abdella, Suleiman Afsharypuord, Farzad kobarfarde and Marjan Mirza-taheri (2010) New myrsinane-type diterpenoids from Euphorbia aellenii Rech. f. with their immunomodulatory activity. J Asian Nat. Prod. Res. 12: (12) 2010, 1020–1025.
- Najma Sultana, Asia Naz, M. Saeed Arayne, M. Ahmed Mesaik (2010) Synthesis characterization, antibacterial, antifungal and immunomodulating activities of gatifloxacin–metal complexes J. Mole. Struct. 969: 17–24
- Mesaik MA, Halim SA, Ul-Haq Z, Choudhary MI, Shahnaz S, Ayatollahi SA, Murad S, Ahmad A. (2010) Immunosuppressive activity of buxidin and E-buxenone from Buxus hyrcana. Chem Biol Drug Des. 75(3):310-7.
- Najma Sultana, Muhammad Saeed Arayne, Syeda Bushra Shakeb Rizvi, and Muhammad Ahmed Mesaik (2010) Synthesis, Characterization and Biological Evaluation of a Series of Levofloxacin Carboxamide Analogues. ChemInform Abstract: Vol 41(12) p..... 26 FEB 2010, DOI: 10.1002/chin.201012190.
- Najma Sultana, Muhammad Saeed Arayne, Syeda Bushra Shakeb Rizvi, and Muhammad Ahmed Mesaik (2009) Synthesis, Characterization and Biological Evaluation of a Series of Levofloxacin Carboxamide Analogues Bull. Korean Chem. Soc., 30 (10): 2294- 2298.
- Mbaze LM, Lado JA, Wansi JD, Shiao TC, Chiozem DD, Mesaik MA, Choudhary MI, Lacaille-Dubois MA, Wandji J, Roy R, Sewald N. (2009). Oxidative burst inhibitory and cytotoxic amides and lignans from the stem bark of Fagara heitzii (Rutaceae). Phytochemistry. Jul-Aug; 70(11-12):1442-7.
- J. D. Wansi, J.L. Djouaka Bavoua, E. N. Happi, Krishna Prasad Devkota, Bruno Ndjakou Lenta, M. Ahmed Mesaik, M. Iqbal Choudhary, Z. T. Fomum, N. Sewald (2009). Bioactive Phenylethanoids and Coumarines from Basalmocitrus cameroonensis ChemInform Abstract: Article first published online: 30 JUL 2009, DOI: 10.1002/chin.200934199
- Arayne S, Sultana N, Haroon U, Mesaik MA. (2009). Synthesis, characterization, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory activities of enoxacin metal complexes. Bioinorg Chem Appl. 2009:914105. Aug 2
- Arayne M S, Sultana N, Haroon U, Mesaik MA, Asif M. (2009) Synthesis and biological evaluations of enoxacin carboxamide derivatives. Arch. Pharm. Res. 23(11):1516-20. Jul 32 (7):967-74.
- Mesaik MA, Azizuddin, Murad S, Khan KM, Tareen RB, Ahmed A, Atta?ur?Rahman, Choudhary MI. (2009) Isolation and immunomodulatory properties of a flavonoid, casticin from Vitex agnus-castus. Phytother Res. 23(11):1516-20..
- Ahmad A, Khan RA, Mesaik MA. (2009) Anti inflammatory effect of natural honey on bovine thrombin-induced oxidative burst in phagocytes. Phytother Res. 13;23 (6):801-808.
- Ozlem Demirkiran, M. A. Mesaik, Ahmed Abbaskhan, M. I. Choudhary (2009) Benzophenenone Constituents of Hypericum Thasium: The Immuno-Suppressive Principle of Plant Extract. Phytochemistry 70, 244–249.
- Ahmad A., M. K. Azim, M. A. Mesaik, Nazimuddin and R. A. Khan (2008). Natural Honey Modulates Physiological Glycemic Response Compared to Stimulated Honey and D-Glucose. Journal of Food Science 73 (7), pp. H165-H167
- Koko W. S., M. A. Mesaik, S. Yousaf, M. Galal, M. I. Choudhary (2008). In Vitro Immunomodulating Properties of Selected Sudanese Medicinal Plants J. Ethnopharmacol. 118 (1), 26–34.
- Sajjad Hussain, Mark Slevin , M. A. Mesaik, M. I. Choudhary, Abdul H Elosta , Sabine Matou, Nessar Ahmed , David West and John Gaffney (2008). Cheiradone: a vascular endothelial cell growth factor receptor antagonist. BMC Cell Biology 29; 9:7.
- Mesaik M. A., M. Kamran Azim, S. Mohiuddin (2008). Honey Modulates Oxidative burst of Professional Phagocytes. Phytother Res. 22 (10) 1404-8.
- Wansi JD, MA Mesaik, KP Devkota, N Sewald. (2008) Immunomodulatory Indoloquinazoline and Furoquinoline alkaloids from Oricia suaveolens (Engl.) Verd. (Rutaceae) Planta Med 2008; 74 - PB31 (Abstract), DOI: 10.1055/s-0028-1084376
- Wansi J. D., M. A. Mesaik, D. D. Chiozem, K. P. Devkota, Marie-Christine Lallemand, M. I. Choudhary, J. Wandji, Z. T. Fomum, N. Sewald (2008). Immunomodulatory and cytoxiic Indoloquinazoline and Furoquinoline Alkaloids from Oricia suaveolens. J. Natural Products 71 (11) pp 1942-1945
- Khalid A., Ghayur M. N., Mesaik M. A., Kalauni S. K., Atta-ur-Rahman, Gilani A.H., Manandhar M.D. and Choudhary M.I. (2007) Sarcorucinine-D: a noncompetitive cholinesterase inhibitor that blocks ?-amyloid binding sites and calcium channels. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 21, 194-7.
- M. K. Azim, Humera Perveen, M. A. Mesaik, S. U. Simjee (2007). Antinociceptive activity of natural honey in thermal-nociception models in mice Phytother Res. 21, 194-197.
- S. A. Saeed, J. D. Connor, Imran, J. Quadri, S. Tasneem, S. Ahmed, M. A. Mesaik, M. Iqbal Choudhary (2007). Inhibitors of Phosphatidylinositide 3-Kinase: Effects on Reactive Oxygen Species and Platelet Aggregation. Pharmacological Reports (Pol. J. Pharmacol) 59, 238-243.
- M. A. Mesaik, M. I. Choudhary, M. Yusuf, S. Murad, Z. Ismaeil, N- R. Abdullah, Atta-ur-Rahman, and A. Ahmad (2006). Biological and Molecular Docking Studies on Coagulin-H: Human IL-2 Natural Inhibitor Mol. Immunol. 43, 1855-1863.
- M. I. Choudhary, S. Shahnaz, S. Parveen, A. Khalid, M. A. Mesaik, S. A. Majeed Ayatollahi, Atta-ur-Rahman (2006). New Cholinesterase-Inhibiting Triterpenoid Alkaloids from Buxus hyrcana Chemistry & Biodiversity 3 (9): 1039-52
- Yeskaliyeva, B., M. A. Mesaik, Abbaskhan A., A. Kulsoom, G. Sh. Burasheva, Zh. A. Abilov, M. Iqbal Choudhary, Atta-ur-Rahman (2006). Bioactive flavonoids and saponins from Climacoptera obtusifolia. Phytochemistry 67 (21), 2392 - 2397.
- Atta-ur-Rahman, A. Khalid, N. Sultana, M. N. Ghayur, M. A. Mesaik, M. R. Khan, A. H. Gilani, and M. I. Choudhary (2006). New Natural Cholinesterase Inhibiting and Calcium Channels Blocking Quinoline Alkaloids, J. Enzym. Inhib. Med. Chem 21, 703-710
- M. A. Mesaik, S. Rahat, K. M. Khan, M. I. Choudhary, S. Murad, Z. Ismaeil, Atta-ur-Rahman & A. Ahmad (2005). Immunomodulatory Properties of Synthetic Imidazolone Derivatives. Letters in Drug Design and Discovery 2 (6): 490-496.
- Saeed. S. A and M. A. Mesaik (2005). New Vistas in the therapeutic uses of stem cells (Review). J. Med. Sci. 5 (4) 350-357.
- M. A. Mesaik, S. Rahat, Khan, K. M., M. I. Choudhary, S. Murad, Z. Ismaeil, Atta-ur-Rahman & A. Ahmad (2004). Immunomodulatory Properties of Synthetic Oxazolone Derivatives. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 12: 2049–2057.
- S. A. Qasmi, S. Aqeel, M. A. Mesaik, S. I. Alam & A. Ahmad (2000). Detection of Hepatitis B Virus in Normal Individuals of Karachi. JCPSP 10, 467-469.
- Ahmad, N. Saeed, T. Abbas, M. A. Mesaik, F. A. Ansari, S. M. Khalid & L. Lubbad (1999). Antibody profile against Newcastle disease in the vaccinated and unvaccinated birds. Pak. J. Pharmacol. 16, 1-7.
- Research gate website: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ahmed_Mesaik/publications
- My Citation indices from my googlescholar.com: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=rYw4pLwAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate
Myrtocomuloacetalone 1 As An Anti-Inflamatory Agent, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Samreen Soomro, Farzana Shaheen, Noureen Khan, Zaheer.ul.Haq Qasmi, Sobia Ahsan Halim, M. Iqbal Choudhary (2017) US-Patent Application No. 14,219,875, Application Ref.2013,0826, Filled 19.3.2014. US Patent 9,701,690, 2017 Publication date
Patuletin a potent anti THF-a and anti-arthritic compound from Tagets patula. M. Ahmed Mesaik, Almas Jabeen, Shaheen Faizi, S. Usman Simjee, Samina Bano, and Lubna. Filled 17.07.2013 (2015). US-Patent Publication No. US20150025131A1 Publication Date: 1/22/2015.
Immunosuppressive compounds, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Khalid M. Khan, Omer M. Abdall, Fazal Rahim, Samreen Soomro, Sobia H. Halim, A. Shukralla Khalid, Zaheer Ul-haq, Shahnaz Perveen. (2014). Pub No. US 2014/0378815 A1. Pub Date: Dec. 25, 2014. US-Patent, Application No. 13/921,705, Filled 19.6.2013.
2-17-hydroxy-17-methyl-5-androst-1-en-3-one as Anti-inflammtory compound. Saif Ullah, Saifullah Khan, M. Ahmed Mesaik, Zaheerul Haq, Almas Jabeen, S. Ahsan Haleem, M. IqbalChoudhary. (2012) Patent No., US 8,329,678 B1. Publication Date: 12/11/2012
Use of coagulin-H or derivatives thereof as immunosuppressive agents M. Ahmed Mesaik, Zaheer-ul- Haq Qasmi, M. Iqbal Choudhary, Atta-ur-Rahman, Shahnaz Murad, Aqeel Ahmad, Rafat A. Siddiqui, and M. Yousaf Filing U.S. patent application serial No.11/461/500 Filled August 1, 206 In process (2013).
INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH COLLABORATION:
Established research collaboration with scientist in the area of immunology, immune regulation and natural products:
- Sweden (Linkoping University)
- Malaysia (The National University of Malaysia, UKM)
- Sudan (National Center for Research)
- Turkey, Seri Lanka, Nigeria, USA and many other countries
Funded Research Projects:
- Studies on the anti-inflammatory protective effect of phyllanthus niruri extract and its biomarker compounds on human monocytic cell lines and adjuvant induced arthritis rat model. Funded by Herbal Development Office Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-based Industry, Malaysia, (NKEA Research Grant Scheme-NRGS NF 2015-005) (PhD student research project). (2014-2016)
- Studies and Immunomodulatory activities of some Malaysian Medcinal Plants, (PhD Student Research Project at Faculty of pharmacy UKM, KL Malaysia) (Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia Grant No. 02-01-02-SF0932) (2014-2018).
- Studies on Honey Proteins and Peptides and Their Role in Modulation of Innate/Adaptive Immune System - M. Phil/Ph. D. Research Project in Molecular Medicine at PCMD, ICCBS, University of Karachi, Pakistan. Funded by Higher Education commission (HEC) Pakistan (2014-2017).
- Immunomodulatory effect of natural flavonoids, triterpenoids, alkaloidal compounds and understanding the molecular basis of their inhibition: strategy for control of rheumatoid arthritis Funded by Higher Education commission (HEC) Pakistan. 2010-2013.
- “Discovery of Immunomodulatory Natural Products and Understanding The Molecular Basis of Their Activity". Funded by Higher Education commission (HEC) Pakistan (2007-2011).
- “Discovery of Anti-inflammatory Natural and Synthetic Compounds through Inhibition of Interleukins (IL)-1and -4 ". Funded by ISESCO/COMSTECH (2007-2010).
- “Allergy and Asthma in Pakistan: Regional variation and Impact of Aeroallergens” Funded by Higher Education commission (HEC) Pakistan 2005-2013.
Research Support (as Co-PI):
- Immunomodulatory activities of spices (2006-2013). Prof. Dr. Rashda project. HEC Pakistan funded.
- IL-2 virtual screening studies (2005-2013). Dr. Zaheer Qasmi Project. HEC Pakistan funded.
- IL-2 designed drugs (2010-2013) Dr. Farzana Ansari Project. HEC Pakistan funded.
Acting as Manuscript Reviewer for the following Journals:
- Inflammation Research, Springer
- Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pakistan
- Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, Pakistan
- Journal of Natural Pharmaceuticals, Phcog.net
- Journal of King Saud University, Elseveier
- Macedonian Journal of Medical Sciences, Mecedonia.
Invited Oral Presentations:
- New Anti TNF -alpha Natural Drug Lead, In the International Symposium-cum-Training Course on Molecular Medicine and Drug Research. University of Karachi
Karachi Pakistan January 7 – 10, 2013.
- Newly discovered Immunomodulators and Immune-regulators to control various immune disorders (Lecture-1) at Faculty of Pharmacy, Univesity Kebangsan Malaysia (UKM), Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. December 4, 2012.
- Honey as One of the Best Natural Immunomodulators, (Lecture-2) at Faculty of Pharmacy, Univesity Kebangsan Malaysia (UKM), Kuala Lumpur Malaysia. December 4, 2012.
- Natural products from plants as drug candidates and lead compounds for Immune System Disorders. Linkoping University Sweden. October 2012.
- Natural Honey Inhibit Phagocytes Intra and Extracellular ROI and Suppress Their Thrombin Activated Response. January 6, 2011. In the 3rd International Symposium-cum-Training Course on Molecular Medicine and Drug Research. University of Karachi
Karachi Pakistan January 3 – 6, 2011.
- Natural Honey modulates phagocyte ROI and suppress their thrombin activated response. January 4, 2011. In the Intarnational Conference of Chemistry and its Role in Science (ICCRS-1) Department of Chemistry Jinnah University for Women, Karachi Pakistan January 3 – 5, 2011.
- How well we are protected from invaders: Role of The Immune System (lecture-1) 11th July, on the 2nd International Workshop on Molecular Immunology held at Khartoum, Sudan July 11-15, 2010
- Natural Compounds are sutable Drug Targets for Immune System Disorders (Lecture-2) 12th July 2010, on the 2nd International Workshop on Molecular Immunology held at Khartoum, Sudan, July 11-15, 2010.
- Cell Culture: Practical Aspects (Lecture-3-4), 13th July 2010, on the 2nd International Workshop on Molecular Immunology held at Khartoum, Sudan July 11-15, 2010.
- Naturally Isolated Compounds are Good Drug Targets for Immune System Disorders. Invited talk delivered at Faculty of Pharmacy UKM Kuala Lumpur Malaysia 2nd February 2009.
- Immunomodulation as Tools to Control Inflammation and other Immune Disorders 2nd International Symposium and workshop-cum-trading course on Molecular Medicine and Drug Research Held at Karachi, Pakistan Jan 12-15, 2009
- How well we are protected from invaders: Role of The Immune System. (Lecture-1) on the 1st International Workshop on Molecular Pharmacology and Immunology held at Khartoum, Sudan on 4th July 2008
- Emerging Drug Discovery Targets for Immune System Disorders. (Lecture-2) on the 1st International Workshop on Molecular Pharmacology and Immunology held at Khartoum, Sudan on 5th July 2008.
- Methods to Detect Anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating Agents Using Cell Based Assays. Lecture-3 on the 1st International Workshop on Molecular Pharmacology and Immunology held at Khartoum, Sudan on 6th July 2008.
- Emerging Immunosuppressive Drug Targets for Immune System Disorders. The 8th Scientific Conference on Endemic and Emerging Diseases: New Trends in Diagnosis and Control. Khartoum Sudan 21-23 August, 2007.
- NADPH Oxidase and Myloperoxidase Dependant ROI Inhibitory Activity of Natural Honey. International Conference on Immunology 2007. Shanghi, China July 12-17 2007.
- Coagulin-H: New Natural Immunosuppressive Lead. The 12th Asian Symposium on Medicianl Plants, Spices and Other Natural Products (ASOMPS XII). Padang, Indonesia 13-18 November 2006.
- New Leads for anti-allergy and anti-inflammatory Drugs through Effective screening Strategy. 10th International Symposium on Natural Product Chemistry, International Center for Chemical Sciences, Karachi-75270, Pakistan Jan 6-9 2006.
- Discovery of natural compounds with immunomodulatory Potentials. 8th Biennial National Conference of Pakistan Society for Biochemistry and Molecular biology (PSBMB). March 7-9, 2005 Karachi Pakistan.
- Coagulin-H: Potent Immunosuppressive candidate and Human IL-2 Novel Natural Inhibitor. 5th International Biennial Conference of Microbiology “Molecular Mechanism of Host-Pathogen interactions. Jan 10-15, 2005 Karachi Pakistan.
- Immunomodulatory Properties of Synthetic Oxazolone and Imidazolone Derivatives. 4th International & 14th national Chemistry Conference. May 16-18, 2004 Lahore Pakistan.
- Jerne Plaque Assay. 2nd National Workshop on Bioassay Techniques HEJ Research Institute of Chemistry, Aug 26-28, 1999. Karachi Pakistan.
- WANSI, J. D., BAVOUA, J. L. D., HAPPI, E. N., DEVKOTA, K. P., LENTA, B. N., MESAIK, M. A., CHOUDHARY, M. I., FOMUM, Z. T., SEWALD, N., Z. Naturforsch., B., Bioactive Phenylethanoids and Coumarines from Basalmocitrus cameroonensis. ChemInform Abstract. Chem. Sci. 64: 4, pp 452-457. Dep. Chem., Fac. Sci., Univ. Douala, Douala, Cameroon (2009).
- M. A. Mesaik, M. I. Choudhary, M. Yusuf, S. Murad, Z. Ismaeil, N- R. Abdullah Atta-ur-Rahman, and A. Ahmad Biological and Molecular Docking Studies on Coagulin-H: Human IL-2 Natural Inhibitor. KOSEF-JSPS Asian Science Seminar Held at IVI Seoul Korea October 24th-27th 2004.
- M A. Mesaik, Azizuddin, M. Zahid, S. Shahnaz, S. Raziullah, S. Murad, A. Ahmad, M I. Choudhary, V. Ahmad and Atta-ur-Rahman. “Phagocytic activity of some natural compounds” International Workshop on Traditional / Complementary Medicine. Held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 13-15 November, 2000.
- M A. Mesaik, M I. Choudhary, F Mofo, S. Malik, A. Ahmad and Atta-ur-Rahman. “Enhanced Immune Response to BSA by immunization with adjuvant compound”. 6th international symposium protein structure function relationship University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan (1999).
- T. Abbas, M A. Mesaik, L. Lubbad and A. Ahmad “Efficacy of the Newcastle Disease vaccine in the chicks” The 2nd One day Seminar on Herbs. Medicine and Therapuetics (Naturophytomedicine: It’s future perspective in Pakistan). Pakistan Society of Pharmacognosy 27 November (1999).
- M. A. Mesaik. M. Iqbal Choudhary, Shaqufta Rahat, Aqeel Ahmad, and Atta-ur-Rahman. “New Immunostimulating Compounds”.9th National Chemistry Conference University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan 6-8 December 1998.
- K. F. Khattak. W. A. Shah, S. M. Baiq, M A. Mesaik and J. A. Qureshi. “Characterization and Diagnosis of hepatitis C virus by PCR/DNA based test in the patients from Faisalabad city”. Third Annual national Symposium, Aqa Khan University, Karachi Pakistan. 20-22 September 1996.
Organization and Participation in symposium and workshops:
- 2nd International Symposium and workshop-cum-trading course on Molecular Medicine and Drug Research Held at Karachi, Pakistan Jan 12-15, 2009
- One-day International Seminar on Boosting Indigenous Research for Sustainable Development in Sudan and Third World Countries Held at Khartoum Sudan, 14th July 2008.
- 1st International Workshop on Molecular Pharmacology and Immunology held at Khartoum, Sudan on 4-13 July 2008.
- One-day International Seminar on Boosting Indigenous Research for Sustainable Development in Sudan and Third World Countries Held at Khartoum Sudan, 14th July 2008.
- 1st International Symposium and workshop-cum-trading course on Molecular Medicine and Drug Research Held at Karachi& Islamabad, Pakistan Jan 16-30, 2007
- 2004 KOSEF-JSPS Asian science Seminar on “Development of Mucosal vaccines From Basic Research to Clinical Application Held Seoul Korea, Organized by International Vaccine Institute (IVI), October 24-27, 2004
- Molecular and Analytical Techniques in Research and Diagnosis of Reproductive Disorders. Workshop jointly organized by The Aga Khan University and Karolinska Institute, September 22-25, 2004 held at Aga Khan University Karachi Pakistan.
- HEJERIC-TOKTEN Workshop on Animal Cell Culture December 23rd 2002 – January 3rd 2003 Karachi Pakistan. (Participation and Organization).
- HEJERIC-TOKTEN Workshop on Use of Radioisotopes in Life Sciences. March 14th, 2000 Karachi Pakistan.
- HEJERIC-TOKTEN Workshop on Immunoassay for Detection of Biomolecules. March 13th, 2000 Karachi Pakistan.
- HEJERIC-TOKTEN Workshop on Cellular and Molecular Mechanism of Programmed Cell Death (Apoptosis). Feb 28th-March 4th, 2000 Karachi Pakistan.
- 2nd National Workshop on Bioassay Techniques 26-28 Aug 1999 Karachi Pakistan (Lecture presentation and practical demonstration).
- Clinical Trial in Herbal Medicine Research (post conference workshop), held on September 27th, 2001 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Course and Workshop on “Signal Transduction in cancer: Immunological Basis, immunotherapy and role of Diet”. 12th Feb-3rd March 1998 Karachi Pakistan.
- 3rd international symposium on genetic engineering and biotechnology (Industrial & Environmental Biotechnology) 24-28 Feb 1998 Karachi Pakistan.
- 7th international symposium on natural product chemistry. 28th Dec 1997-2nd Jan 1998, Karachi Pakistan.
Current Research Activities:
SUPERVISOR: Selected as a Ph. D. supervisor in 2008 by University Grants Commission (HEC), Pakistan. Currently, 8 students are working for their M. Phil. / Ph. D. degrees in the following areas
Supervisor for the following students:
- Tasneem Akhter, M. Phil in Molecular Medicine (Since May 2007). Project Title: Evaluation, Characterization and Role of out Door Airborne Fungal Flora Associated with Asthma and Allergies in Karachi and to Define a Strategies to Overcome this Problem. (MPhil Awarded 2012).
- Almas jabeen, M. Phil/Ph. D. program in Molecular Medicine. (Since January 2006). Project title: Studies on the suppression of inflammatory Arthritis at molecular level by natural and synthetic inhibitors of TNF-? and IL-1 ? (Degree Awarded October 2013).
- Samreen Soomro, M. Phil/Ph. D. program in Molecular Medicine. (Since November 2006). Project title: Identification of new natural/synthetic anti inflammatory molecules that modulate Ractive oxygen and nitrogen species activities (PhD Degree Awarded November 2013).
- Omer M. Abdalla, M. Phil/Ph. D. program in Molecular Medicine. (Since July 2007). Project title: Immunomodulatory effects of natural compounds on cells that mediate the immune response: Role in graft rejection prevention (PhD Degree Awarded Jan 2014).
- Ahmed Shukralla, M. Phil/Ph. D. program in Molecular Medicine. (Since July 2007). Project title: Discovery of anti inflammatory agents: new IL-4 selective natural inhibitors (Expected to complete in June 2014, deceased).
- Nida Dastageer, M. Phil/Ph. D. program in Molecular Medicine. (Since March, 2010). Project title: Studies on Honey Proteins and Peptides and Their Role in Modulation of Innate/Adaptive Immune System (Expected to complete in June 2016).
Co- Supervisor for the following students:
- Humera Waheed, PhD Program in Chemistry Studies of Hemoglobin Protein From LeafNose Viper (Eristicophis macmahonii) and Sindh Krait (Bungarus sindanus sindanus) and the Protein Translocation Complex from Escherichia coli. (PhD Degree Awarded).
- Menga A/P llangkovan, PhD Program in Faculty of pharmacy UKM, KL Malaysia (2014-2017).
- Nur affira Binti Ohd Noor MSc. Program Institut Pengsjian Siswazah Sultan Idris Educational University Perak (UPSI) Malaysia (Since Jan 2015).